Pieometry: Modern Tart Art and Pie Design for the Eye and the Palate
by Lauren Ko
In a few short years, Lauren Ko made all hell bake loose, going from novice pie baker to internet star and creator of today’s most surprising and delightful pie and tart designs. Her unique geometric style uses fruit and dough cut and woven into stunning shapes to highlight color and texture. With an elegant symmetry that matches their knockout flavor, her dazzlingly intricate and inventive designs look difficult to produce, but can be achieved with little more than a knife, ruler, and some patience.
In Pieometry, Lauren reveals her secrets, sharing stories about her designs and the inspiration behind them. Warm and funny, she recounts the spectacular piesasters that led to some of her best creations, and breaks down her most beautiful designs, describing how to make naturally-colored dough, intricate weaves, and striking cut-out patterns. Pieometry provides clear, step-by-step instructions, accompanied by helpful photographs, which any patient baker can follow to build these pies from bottom crust to top in their own kitchens. Lauren makes it easy to mix and match doughs, fruits, fillings, and designs, and each recipe includes suggestions for alternative ingredients. Best of all, the beautiful finished pie and tart photos are just as much of a treat to look at as the pies are to eat. But even if you make a mistake here and there, her flavors save the day!
When it comes to flavor, Pieometry offers a balance of sweet and savory pies that are a feast for the senses, including:
- Of a Shingle Mind: Honey ricotta tart with an herbed pastry shell and beets
- Berried Treasure: Lavender blackberry cream with a shortbread crust and berries
- Wave of Wonders: Cardamom coffee cream with a shortbread crust and pear
- Once in a Tile: Pumpkin black sesame pie with a black sesame crust
- C and Easy: Butternut bacon macaroni and cheese pie with a whole wheat cheddar chive crust
- Squiggle Room: Grilled cinnamon pineapple pie with a basic butter crust
Whether you want to impress at the holidays or just spruce up a family meal, Pieometry is your guide to transforming a rustic traditional dessert into a modern masterpiece.
Hardcover : 304 pages
Dimensions : 7.5 x 0.98 x 9.25 inches